Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Archives: Why God Made Sisters

July Third Year:
I always knew my sister was a keeper. I idolized her from the start. There was the time when she slipped a diagram under our bedroom door, replete with a picture tutorial of how to escape my time-out via the bedroom windows. There was the time she let me ride bikes downtown with her to buy her latest pet and then let me take over care for said pet (hahaha!). There was the time she let me listen in to the recounting of her latest dating misadventures, even though I was only 12 but dying to be grown-up enough to hear . And there were the million other times she has screwed my head back on straight when I've started talking crazy. Growing up, I just wanted to be like her*. And now I just want to be with her, so it's a good thing we only live 20 minutes apart.

Yesterday we left our little ones in the capable hands of grandmas/nannies (with the exception of her nursing infant, who is so quiet, she doesn't really count) and headed out to Leesburg for the love of a good deal. We're both re-decorating right now, so we each had our wish list. And maybe it's the karma of sisters, but we both found just what we were looking for.
Somehow we managed to get it all into her mini-van (oh the wonder!):

We celebrated our spoils over lunch at Friday's. A sister knows that after you've both ordered your salads, and just as the server is walking away, it is the right thing to say, 'actually, can we get a side of fries with that?' Since I'd been thinking exactly the same thing, I added, 'with a side of ranch?' Perfection!
I could write a page long list about the things I love about my sister (beautiful! brilliant! spiritual! kind! funny! talented!), but as we talked, with the easiness and understanding that comes with a shared lifetime, blood and history, I realized that the heart of the matter is this:

God made sisters because He knew there would be things that only He and she could understand.

And I'm so grateful He gave me one. Cause Heaven knows I couldn't do it without her

No comments:

Post a Comment